My life mission statement is "Cultivating Courage for Kingdom Impact through Relational Influence." The first part of this mission statement was laid on my heart at EFCA's Missional Summit in September 2011. It was furhter refined and expanded in October 2011 at a two day retreat in Virginia. It is in light of this life mission statement that I am making some resolutions for the New Year:
In light of my life mission statement of :Cultivating Courage for Kingdom Impact through Relational Influence" I make the following resolutions for 2012.
1) I resolve to lead a more authentic spiritual life as a child of God, orienting my entire life around God and that all of my life would reflect his glory into the world. I pray that my entire life would be shaped by the Scriptures and my time with the Lord in prayer.
As Jonathan Edwards said so well, "Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God’s glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad’s of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I meet with, how many and how great soever." http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/articles/the-resolutions-of-jonathan-edwards
2) I resolve to be a husband who cultivates courage in my wife so she can flourish as a child of God, as my wife, as a mother, and as a servant to the least of those around us. Ephesians 5:25-33
3) I resolve to be a father who cultivates childreen in my children so they can make firm committments to Christ and live their lives with Christ at the center. I resolve to not provoke my children to anger but to discipline them in a way that draws them closer to God and to me. Ephesians 6:1-4
4) I resolve to lead my ministry out of my daily encounters with the Lord and that my time with Him would guide my decisions related to team building, vision and strategy for ministry, and day to day practices. I resolve to lead others into prayer as we together seek his vision for the future. Finally, I resolve to life my life as sent by Christ into the world - holding loosely onto everything but Jesus. (Luke 6:12-16, John 20:21)
5) I resolve to take better care of my physical body so that I can lead a more God centered life. Realizing that I am not getting younger, I resolve to eat better, exercise more regularly, and set an example for my family in terms of physical health so that I can have more energy and stamina for gospel ministry.
I pray that in December as I look back on 2012 that I will be able to say that I have kept these resolutions to the glory of God and for the advancement of His kingdom.